Fr. Dr. Palathinkal Varghese
Area of Specialization: Canon Law
Mobile: +91 9747698852
- BTh. Paurastya Vidyapitham
- Licentiate in Canon Law and Doctorate in Oriental Canon Law
- Ecclesiastical Jurisprudence
- Institute of Oriental Canon Law, Dharmaram Vidya Kshethram, Bangalore
- Parochial Vicar: Ambazhakad (1986), Irinjalakuda Cathedral (1987).
- Vicar: Paduvanagar (1993), Kodungallur (1994), P. Vemballur (1995), Perumbadappu (1997), Thuravankunnu (1999), Mapranam (2004 – 2007), Aloor (2007 – 2010), Calvarikunnu (2008- 2010), Munnumury (2014 – 2017).
Pastoral and administrative assignments
- Secretary to the Bishop of Irinjalakuda and Vice-Chancellor
- Judge of the Eaparchial Tribunal 1992-2013
- Judge Major Archiepiscopal Tribunal 1994
- Chancellor of the Eparchy 1999-2004
- Judicial Vicar 2001- 2013
- Rector, St. Paul’s Minor Seminary Irinjalakuda, 2010-2014
- Parish priest: Moonnumury 2017
- Consulter, Eparchy of Irinjalakuda, 1999 – 2004
- Convener, Historical Commission in the Cause for the Beatification and Canonization of Joseph Vithayathil, 2003.
- Promoter of Justice in the Miracle Inquiry Commission of Saint Euphrasia, 2008.
- Episcopal Delegate in the Cause for the Beatification and Canonization of Canisius CMI, 2014.
- Eparchial Judge 1992 – 2013; 2017
- Judicial Vicar, Eparchy of Hosur, 2020
- Chief Editor, Journal of Eastern Legal Thought, 2020 – 2025.
- Director, Safe Environment Committee, Eparchy of Irinjalakuda 2020.
- Member, Syro-Malabar Particular Law Revision Committee, 2021.
- Judge Major Archiepiscopal Tribunal, 1994 – 2025.
- Secretary, Oriental Canon Law Society of India, 2016 – 2019.
- President, Oriental Canon Law Society of India, 2019 – 2022.
- Temporal Goods of the Church, Symposium Proceedings, Varghese Palathingal, (editor), Qanona 2, OIRSI, Kottayam 2017.
- “Congregation for the Eastern Churches and Promotion of Eastern Heritage”, Temporal Goods of the Church, (OIRSI, QANONA 2, Kottayam, 2017) 179 -188.
- “Acquisition, Administration and Alienation of Temporal Goods”, Temporal Goods of the Church, (OIRSI, QANONA 2, Kottayam, 2017) 21 – 54.
- “Meaning and Relevance of Indulgences: A Pursuit of Truth from a Canonical Perspective”, Justitia, (Dharmaram Journal of Canon Law, Bangalore), 8/2 (December 2017) 217 – 228.
- “The Implications of Veritatis Gaudium: Ecclesiastical Universities and Other Academic Institutions”, Ephrem’s Theological Journal, 22 (October 2018) 198 – 209.
- “Promotion of Vocations in the Light of CCEO and Other Documents”, Joseph Kaduppil, ed., Clerical Formation: Challenges in a Changing World, (QANONA 3, Kottayam 2018) 64 – 80.
- “Palliyogam: A Laudable Heritage of the Syro Malabar Major Archiepiscopal Church in the Light of CCEO c. 295”, JUSTITIA, 9/2 (Silver Jubilee Special, December, 2018) 341 – 362.
- “Commentary on the Sacrament of Penance”, in John D. Faris and Jobe Abbass (eds.), A Practical Commentary to the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches, Vol. I (Wilson & Lafleur: Montreal 2019) 1294 – 1320.
- “Commentary on the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick”, in John D. Faris & Jobe Abbass, (eds.), A Practical Commentary on the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches, Vol. I (Wilson & Lafleur, Montreal, 2019) 1321 – 1329.
- “Seventieth Anniversary of the Indian Constitution: Protection of Constitutional Values and Interpretation of Laws: in Eastern Legal Thought, 15 (2019) 254 – 264.
- “Erection of Kalyan as the First Eparchy for the Syro-Malabar Migrants”, in Joy George Mangalathil, ed., The All India Jurisdiction of the Syro-Malabar Church, (OIRSI, QANONA, Kottayam, 2019) 150 – 169.
- Eastern Legal Thought, Varghese Palathingal, Chief Editor, Journal annually published from Institute of Eastern Canon Law, Kottayam, Vol. 16, 2020, vol. 17, 2021.
- “The Juridical Figure of Procurator and the Syro-Malabar Church”, Eastern Legal Thought, 16 (2020) 143 – 153.
- “Varthamanappusthakam: A Juridical Source of the Syro-Malabar Church, in Thomas Christian Heritage, 13/24 (July, 2020) 51 – 82.
- “Delict and Penalty: An Appraisal of the Penal Laws in the CCEO,” in George Thekkekara, ed. Penal Laws in the Church, (Proceedings of Dr. Koikakudy Endowement Lectures, IECL, Paurastya Vidyapitham), QANONA 5, OIRSI, Kottayam 2020.
- “Court Procedure of Eastern Churches: Seventieth Anniversary of Promulgation of Sollicitudinem Nostram”, in Iustitia, 11/1, 2020.
- “150th Anniversary of First Vatican Council: Canonical Implications for the Eastern Churches”, in Iustitia, 11/2, 2020.
- “Synod of Diamper as a Juridical Source of the Syro-Malabar Church”, in Eastern Legal Thought, 17 (2021) 247 – 271.
- Consortium Totius Vitae: Essence and Form of Marital Relationship in the Malabar Church. Aluva, 1992.
- 'Marriage ' in Patriarchal and Matrimonial Legislations in the New Oriental Code, (co-Author), Aluva, 1992.
- “Sacredness of Canons in the New Oriental Code”, in Christian Orient, March 1992.
- ’'The Meaning and Relevance of 'Consortium Totius Vitae'’ in AA.VV. The Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches: A Study and the Interpretation, Aluva 1992, pp.204-229.
- “Marital Consent of the Thomas Christians in the Indian Socio-Cultural Milieu”, In Eastern Legal Thought, 2002, pp. 97-115.
- “New Education Act and Minority Rights” in Eastern Legal Thought, 2006, pp.91-97.
- “New Insights in to the Canon in Capacity” in Eastern Legal Thought, 2009, pp.173-178.
- “Medicinal Aspects in the Canonical Process” in Kynanaya Light (ed.), Bangalore 2009, pp. 491-497.
Articles in Malayalam Language
- “സഭയ്ക്ക് എന്തിനാ ഭൗതിക വസ്തുക്കൾ ?” [Why temporal goods for Church), in Darsan Voice, Trichur, January 2014.
- “സഭാ ജിവിതത്തിൽ അല്മയരുടെ വിശിഷ്ട സ്ഥാനം”, [The special place of laity in ecclesial life], in Darsan Voice, February, 2014.
- അനുരഞ്ഞനവും വ്യവഹാരവും: സമദൂരമാണോ? സമന്തരമാണോ? [Reconciliation and trial…], in Darsan Vocie, March 2014.
- വിരോചിതമായ പുന്ന്യജീവിതം: അര്തവും പ്രസക്തിയും[Heroically holy life…], in Darsan Voice, April 2014.
- സംഘടിച്ച് ശക്തരാകുക: അവകാശങ്ങൾ സംരഷിക്കുക [Be United and be powerful: Protect the rights], in Darsan Voice, May 2014.
- കുഞ്ഞു ജനിച്ചില്ലെങ്കിൽ വിവാഹം ഇല്ലാതാകുമോ? [Whether marriage becomes null if child not born?], in Darsan Voice, July 2014.
- ദാമ്പത്യ സമർപ്പണവും കുടുംബഷെമവും, [The matrimonial commitment…] in Darsan Voice, August 2014.
- സഭാനിയമം [The Church laws…] in Darsan Voice, October 2014.
- “Venerable Joseph Vithayathil,” in Deepika, 22 July 2017.
- “Centenary Reflections on the Congregation for Eastern Churches and the Patrimony of the Church,” in Deepika, 25 August 2017.
- “Quarter of a Century in the Path of Growth: Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Syro-Malabar Major Archiepiscopal Church,” in Keralasabha, February 2018.
- “Heritage and Witness: Ruby Jubilee of the Eparchy of Irinjalakuda,” in Keralasabha, March 2018.
- “Church and Oriental Canon Law Society of India,” in Deepika (Supplement), 16 July 2018.
- “Value Oriented Education and Legal Aspects,” in Platinum Jubilee Souvenir of BVMHSS Kalparamba, Irinjalakuda, 2018.
- “Constitutional Values and Interpretation of Laws: National Commemoration Day of Laws,” in Deepika, 26 November 2018.
- “Canonical Interpretation of Social realities,” (fifteen episodes in Utube), Darsan Communications, Eparchy of Irinjalakuda, 2019.
- “Apostolic See and the Roman Procura of the Syro-Malabar Church,” in Deepika, 12 October 2019.
- “The Stygmata of Saint Mariam Thresia and the Value of suffering,” in Canonization Souvenir of Saint Mariyam Thresia, Holy Family Generalate, Mannuthy, Trichur, 2020.
- “Roman Procurator and the Apostolic See”, Silver Jubilee Souvenir of Erection of the First Syro-Malabar Parish in Rome, 2020.
- “Unity of Churches and the Supreme Power of the Roman Pontiff, (150th Anniversary of the First Vatican Council),” in Keralasabha, November 2020.
- “Covid 19 and the Church’s Works of Apostolate,” in Andrews Mekkattukunnel, ed., Faith and Ecclesial Living in Quarantine, OIRSI, Kottayam, 2020.
- “Discourse on Migrants in Chapter four of Fratelli Tutti, Social Encyclical of Pope Francis” Utube Channel of Paurastya Vidyapitham, Kottayam, October 2020.
- “Reflections on the Impact of First Vatican Council on the Eastern Churches,” in Utube Channel of Paurastya Vidyapitham, Kottayam, October 2020.