With the renaissance in the 15th century the modem period in history begins. The Church too had a different shape from that time. Reformation and the missionary enterprises resulted in the break-up of the western Christian world. The Church became world-wide in the industrial age. Beginning from the French revolution there was the separation of the Church from the state. Religious indifferentism and consumerism are the contemporary trends. To have an idea of the global Catholic Church and the role and meaning of the Church in the modem world is the aim of this course.
- Jedin. Hubert, ed. History of the Church vol. IV -X (New York 1965).
- Bihlmeyer Karl and Tuechle Hermann. Church History vol. Ill (Westminster 1968).
- Hughes. Philip. A History of the Church vol. Ill (London 1935).
- Pastor. L.. The History of Popes from the Close of the Middle Ages, 40 vols. (London 1906-53)
- Attwater. D.. The Catholic Eastern Churches (Milwaukee 1935).
- Poulet. C.. A History of the Catholic Church (St. Louis 1931).